Thursday, December 15, 2011

Let's Talk About Nitrates/Nitrites

I'm going to start this one off with this definition from the EPA:  Nitrates and nitrites are chemicals used in fertilizers, in rodenticides (to kill rodents), and as food preservatives.  Now, notice how in that previous sentence which says what nitrates/nitrites are used in you see fertilizers, rodenticides and then food.  I should probably just be done writing today's blog because right there is enough of a case against eating nitrates/nitrites!  Why would we want to put something that is a main ingredient in chemical fertilizers into our bodies.  Well, unfortunately there are many articles on the internet that would try to convince you that they are safe to consume.  Even though, they tested carcinogenic in lab animals.  Now, it may just be me, but, if something gives an animal cancer, I don't want to put it into my human body either and if that something can kill a rodent, I really don't want it in my body!  Nitrates/Nitrites when used in food items are found in:  hotdogs, deli meats, bacon, sausage, ham, etc.  They are used in the curing process of processed meats. There are alternatives though for buying items without nitrates/nitrites such as, Boar's Head deli meats.  They contain no nitrates/nitrites.  They are a little pricey though and are really out of my budget at about $7-10 a pound. They are very good products though.  Being a homeschool mom, we eat lunch here at home every day of the week, so sandwiches are something that we do eat.  I was able to find a great product at Costco under the Kirkland Brand and it is in the meat and cheese cases in the back.  They have whole turkey breasts, fully cooked and ready to slice for sandwiches and the ingredients are:  turkey, salt, water, sugar.  That's it!!!!  And, it tastes delicious- none of that pressed together, pieced together cheap deli meat taste.  And, the best part is that it's only $3.89 a pound!!!  That fits in my budget!  Costco also has uncured (which means no nitrates/nitrites) Canadian bacon- 40 slices for $10.89.  Anyone who eats Canadian bacon knows that it is much more expensive than regular bacon, because it is healthier when it comes to fat and calories, so Costco's price for the uncured variety is great.

I know I say this a lot, but I'm going to say it again:  Read your food labels!!  I think you will be very surprised at how much better you will feel without chemicals in your body.  Uh Oh- I feel a rabbit trail coming on!  Why is it that back in the 80's when I was in high school, it was very rare for us to know someone who had cancer- I mean know that person personally, as in our family.  But, now, I think it's very rare for us to NOT know someone personally who has cancer.  Two thirds of all cancer can be prevented with diet, exercise and lifestyle changes!  Now, I know with some cancers we just don't know how to prevent them.  I have had relatives die of cancer and it's because of watching that happen, that I want to help others prevent the ones that can be prevented.  So, let's start preventing it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment